What I Am Reading

Scenic ReadsSince I am a seminary student, there are quite a few books that I read during the semester for a given class. This semester I am in a course titled Proclamation, so several of the books I am reading are on preaching. Three of the books we are using for the course are:

Another great book we are using (which I have already read) is Preaching Essentials: A Practical Guide by Lenny Luchetti. A bonus is the fact that Lenny is one of the professors for the course!

In addition to reading for school, I have my nose in three other books at the moment:

I always find myself reading more than one book, but I seem to be in quite a few more than normal. I’m enjoying reading the new Ted Dekker book as it is a bit of a departure from his normal, but presents a story that takes place in Jesus’ time from the perspective of a very unique character. I will post a review of the book once I have finished reading it.

What books are you reading right now?

Sunday Setlist – 10/19/14 Connection

Record Player

Ready to get a head start on Sunday morning worship?

Below is a list of the songs we will be singing together in the Connection service (10:30am) at Mt. Zion Wesleyan Church. Also included is an embedded Spotify playlist of the songs so you can play them directly from the site, or add the playlist to your own Spotify account for your listening pleasure.

We Are The Free (Matt Redman)
Cannons (Phil Wickham)
I Am (Crowder)
We Believe (Newsboys)
Lord, I Need You (Matt Maher)

How Not To Feel Like A Genius

Coffee Beans

If you want to NOT feel like a genius:

Make an appointment at the Apple Store Genius Bar for 7:20pm, show up at the store and give the nice guy at the front door your name, and then find out that you accidentally made the appointment for the wrong day.

[I did reschedule the appointment and plan to go to the store at the appropriate time and on the right date.]

Matthew 5:13

Typewriter

¬†You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet. (Matthew 5:13 ESV)

Whenever I think of salt, I am always reminded of the cooking shows that Amanda and I always end up watching late at night. No matter what dish they prepare in the 30 minute timeframe, salt is in 90% of the dishes. The remaining 10% are those dishes that the judges scold the chef for neglecting the obvious!

With my limited knowledge of cooking, I know that salt is added to foods to enhance and bring out the flavors already in the dish. In the time of Jesus, salt was a “purifying agent”, but I think both meanings together hold a significance we can overlook. If we are to be the salt of the earth, I think it goes beyond just being a purifying agent in the world, aggravating the wounds of those around us to make them clean. We must be the salt in such a way that we are not only being holy, but in a way that enhances and brings out the taste and flavors of life. As a creative, I think the arts are a beautiful way of adding the taste and flavor of Christ to the world around us. It’s not just about creating for the sake of art, but to honoring God with the gifts he has blessed us with, no matter how subtle or obvious that may appear in the end.

The big question we should ask ourselves is this: what are we doing today to add the taste and flavor of Christ to the lives of the people around us?